By Hugh Ellenwood, White Rock Museum
The houses on the east side of Elm Street, at 1148, 1152 and 1156 represent the best example of a historical streetscape remaining in White Rock. When the railway was built in 1909 White Rock quickly became a popular summer resort, serving Vancouver and New Westminster. The houses on Elm Street were built in 1910 and 1911 originally as summer cottages or rentals. Gradually over the decades they became permanent year round residences and some were replaced by larger buildings such as the condos on the west side of the street, or newer houses such as the one at 1144.
Photo Credit: White Rock Museum